The most common way to know the blood glucose level is by performing a capillary glycemia control. With this simple operation you will be able to know how much “sugar” is contained in a drop of blood.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO A CAPILLARY GLYCEMIA?
Subscribe to our newsletter
And we will inform you of all the news
STEPS TO DO A FINGER-STICK GLUCOSE MONITORING
- Prepare all the tools you need: glucose meter, lancets, lancing device, tissue, etc.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or, if it is not possible, clean the area you are going to prick with cotton or gauze dipped in soap or disinfectant solution. Dry the area of the skin.
- Insert a new test strip into the glucose meter. A picture normally appears on the screen indicating that it is ready to obtain a blood sample (usually it is a teardrop picture).
- Use the automatic lancing device to obtain a drop of blood:
- Use a clean lancet.
- Check that the pricking depth is most effective for you.
- Load the lancing device and click to obtain a drop of blood.
- Touch the drop with the strip and wait until it absorbs the amount of blood needed.
- Wait until the result appears on the screen.
- Write down the result on the control notebook.
- Remove and discard the strip.
La Otra Cara de la Insulina reminds you that we are not doctors. If you have any doubts or questions about how to follow treatment, you should consult qualified medical personnel.